22 January 2011

Bountiful Baskets Day #1

When I mentioned on my blog a few weeks ago that I wanted to start feeding my family more healthy food, my friend Amanda suggested that I look into Bountiful Baskets (a food co-op). So I did.
On Monday I ordered a basket of fresh fruits and veggies for $15. This morning I got Sam up at quarter to 7 to pick up baskets for me and Amanda. It was dark and exciting outside, I loved it! We got so much food, I just had to blog about it.
Here's what we got:
1 pineapple
6 bananas
3 grapefruit
7 pears
7 apples
7 lemons
4 HUGE potatoes
2 bundles of broccoli
1 bundle of asparagus
1 head of lettuce
1 head of kale
7 Roma tomatoes

So for day one... Ryan and I split a grapefruit for lunch. I couldn't eat my half because I burned my tongue on hot chocolate last night and the acid kept hurting my mouth. I made lemonade, using all 7 lemons. It is pretty dang amazing (even though drinking it hurt my mouth). For dinner Ryan and I each had a baked potato, which we shared with Sam, and some asparagus.
Pretty good, right? I don't really know what to do with the kale, so right now it is sitting in a bowl on the kitchen table. It's purple and pretty!
In other news, Sam's canine teeth are coming in. He isn't eating a lot of solid food right now, so today he had a case of the super poops. Then he got bum rash from all the wiping. The poor little guy walks around like he has a stick up his bum. It would be a little funny if he wasn't so sad. Luckily he went right to sleep so he could get some relief. That pretty much sums up my day.

2 comments:

Granted By Tiffany said...

We Love Kale - here's 2 ways I cook it.
1. Plain wash & rough chop it, put 1 TBS of olive oil in a pan over medium & wilt the kale.
2. rough chop kale & mushrooms add a handful of cherry or grape tomatoes. Cook Mushrooms first with a little seasoning salt, then add kale & tomatoes. Cook until Kale is glossy & tomatoes split - that's our favorite way to eat Kale. Enjoy.

Ty and Ber said...

I did the bountiful basket thing a while ago. I loved all the fresh produce. I didn't like waking up early to get my basket though so I stopped.
I always split the basket with someone else, I felt like we couldn't go through a whole basket on our own.
Have fun with it.