27 November 2010

NaNoWriMo Dares

Let me just say, it is hard to write 50,000 words in a month. I've hit several slumps over the past 4 weeks. Last night was particularly bad, so I decided to cruise around the forums on nanowrimo.org to see if anyone could provide me with inspiration. One of the fun things to do during NaNoWriMo is to dare other writers to include crazy things in their novels. It's definitely a good creative exercise, and can help boost your word count. So I took some dares. Here's what I got:
-Have someone say "two lefts don't make a right" and have someone else say "but three do!" (it's a Relient K reference.) The whole scene was good for 306 words.
-Mention Albania. Bonus points if the character has no idea where Albania is. 76 words
-Use the phrase "And suddenly, lesbian vampires!" 112 words
-Have someone solve a Rubik's cube. Include their internal dialogue. 163 words
-Have a character buy something they saw on an infomercial. 97 words
-Include an argument over which is better, pirates or ninjas. 94 words
-Mention the Colorado Rockies baseball team. 193 words
-Have the main characters see my family at some point in the story. 58 words
-Include zombie pandas and blueberry elves. 204 words
-Feature crows and fighting cats. 188 words

I have a few more dares coming down the pike that I haven't used yet, but the total so far of how many words I owe to dares is 1,391. I will be accepting more dares on my Facebook page, but you only have until the 30th to get them in!

1 comment:

mary plus vince said...

oh my goodness, i love this! you need to post excerpts that have the dares in them! so rad!